Q: I need to lose weight. I’m a 40-year-old female with a body mass index (BMI) of 28.8. Can you please give me some help?
A: The following tips (some of which you’ve probably heard before) will help you in reducing weight:
- Reduce the amount of calories you eat by 300 to 500 calories per day. This should lead to a loss of 1-2 pounds per week. What you will have to do is keep an account of how many calories you take in each day and cut back.
- Increase your daily activities and work out, if you can.
- Avoid chocolate, cookies, or biscuits; choose healthy snacks, such as fruit.
- Swap whole milk for low-fat, or low-fat milk for nonfat (skim).
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Don’t eat fried, spicy, salty, or chilly food items.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Eat plenty of salad and fruits.
- Eat a small whole-wheat bagel and 1 tbsp of peanut butter in the morning.
- It’s OK to have orange juice with breakfast. But throughout the rest of the day, focus on water instead of juice or soda.
All the above actions will help you greatly is losing weight. Also consult your doctor or dietician to prepare a customized diet chart.
— Answer from Dr. Charles, a physician on JustAnswer.
Daily Answer is excerpted from the JustAnswer archives and features information provided by a Expert on JustAnswer.